1. DECLUTTER!! Clutter accumulates in every home. Our tip to sellers is to remove everything that you don’t use every day. Start packing things away (you’re moving anyway!! Get a jump start on packing!!) or donate things you no longer need. Completely clear off kitchen counters, remove magnets and notes from the refrigerator. Remove knick knacks and collectables. Your goal should be for your home to look like a builder’s model.
2. Organize closets, basements, and garages. So often, we hear buyers say “Wow, you can tell they care for the home, just look how organized everything is!!” An organized home communicates that you’re a responsible homeowner. Buyers will feel confident in their decision to make an offer when they feel the home has been cared for.
3. Clean up your front porch. Clear spider webs, hose off the front stoop, give the front door a fresh coat of paint. This is the buyer’s first impression of your home. While their realtor is opening the lockbox and unlocking the door, the buyer will be standing there making assumptions about the home based on the exterior. You want them to be excited to get inside and see more. Unfortunately, we’ve had buyers say they’ve changed their mind about seeing the home while we are standing on the front porch.
4. Clean up your landscaping. Trim bushes, edge flower beds, put fresh mulch down and plant some flowers. Make sure the grass is freshly cut before each showing. The exterior photo is the first the buyer will see online and you want buyers to be excited to continue looking through photos. You never get a second chance to make a first impression!!
5. Address any oder issues. Have a friend or neighbor walk through your house and ask them to be honest about any unpleasant orders. The best remedy for this is deep cleaning. We do not recommend the use of plug ins or air fresheners. Many buyers are sensitive to artificial aromas and they don’t fully cover undesirable scents. If pet smells are coming from the carpets, new carpet may be necessary. Air purifiers can help as well.
6. Stage your home. Many homes can be staged for free using items you already own! Create vignettes around the house that are appropriate for the room in question…decorative soaps and hand towels in the bath or a coffee bar in the kitchen. Also, make sure every light in the house is on, turn on ceiling fans, and make sure the home is a comfortable temperature before each showing. You’d be surprised how often a buyer gets a bad vibe from a house because all the curtains are closed and the home is dark, or because the air conditioning is turned off on a hot day.
7. Clean, Clean, Clean!! From shining floors and gleaming windows to clean counters and scrubbed grout, every surface should sparkle. This is the easiest (well, maybe not easiest, but certainly the cheapest) way to help your home put its best foot forward. You may want to hire pros to do some of the really tough stuff, especially if you have a large house. Don’t skimp — this step is key! That “clean home” smell can’t be beat!!
8. Hang easy to read house numbers. Realtors and buyers will be looking for your home when they’re arriving for showings… help them out by making your house numbers stand out.
8. Rearrange your furniture. In the living room, symmetrical arrangements usually work well. Pull your furniture off the walls and use pairs (of sofas, chairs, lamps) to create an inviting conversation area. Don’t be afraid to remove furniture that clutters the room. You may need to rent a storage unit or moving pod until moving day.
10. Choose sophisticated neutral colors. Now is not the time to experiment with that “fun”-looking lime green. But that doesn’t mean you need to go all white, either. Rich midtone neutrals like mocha and “greige” create a sophisticated backdrop that makes everything look more pulled together. Buyers always love a freshly painted interior.
With these simple tips, paired with a great marketing plan, your home will be sold quickly and for top dollar!! If you’re wondering what “finishing touches” your home needs to be ready to go on the market, call us!! We’d be happy to take a look at your home and help you decide what needs to be done (and what isn’t necessary) to get your home sold quickly and to get the most money in your pocket!